Sunglasses are not only a fashion accessory but also a necessity for protecting your eyes from harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays and high-energy visible (HEV) light. However, not all sunglasses are created equal. Some sunglasses may offer more benefits than others, depending on the lens color, shape, and material. In this article, we will explore why vintage sunglasses are a great choice for your eye health and style.
What are Vintage Sunglasses
Vintage sunglasses are shades from a past decade, usually from the 1940s to the 1990s. They often feature unique designs, colors, and materials that reflect the trends and culture of their time. Some of the most iconic vintage sunglasses include:
Cat-eye sunglasses: These sunglasses have an exaggerated shape that flares out at the corners, creating a feline-like appearance. They were popularized by celebrities like Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn in the 1950s and 1960s.
Aviator sunglasses: These sunglasses have a metal frame and large, teardrop-shaped lenses that cover the entire eye area. They were originally designed for pilots in the 1930s but became a fashion statement in the 1970s and 1980s thanks to stars like Tom Cruise and Madonna.
Round sunglasses: These sunglasses have circular lenses and a minimalist frame. They are associated with musicians and artists like John Lennon, Elton John, and Harry Potter.
Oversized sunglasses: These sunglasses have large, square, or rectangular lenses that cover most of the face. They were popular in the 1960s and 1970s, especially among celebrities like Jackie Kennedy and Sophia Loren.
Wayfarer sunglasses: These sunglasses have a plastic frame and trapezoidal lenses that taper at the bottom. They were introduced by Ray-Ban in the 1950s and became a classic style in the 1980s, worn by icons like Michael Jackson and Bruce Springsteen.
Why choose vintage sunglasses over modern designs?
Vintage sunglasses have many advantages over modern designs, such as:
- Quality: Vintage sunglasses are often made with durable and high-quality materials, such as metal, acetate, or glass. They are also crafted with more attention to detail and precision, resulting in a better fit and comfort.
- Style: Vintage sunglasses have a timeless and distinctive appeal that can complement any outfit and personality. They can also make you stand out from the crowd and express your individuality.
- Function: Vintage sunglasses can offer more protection and enhancement for your vision than modern designs, depending on the lens color and type. For example, green lenses can filter out some blue light and reduce glare, gray lenses can shield bright light and preserve natural colors, and polarized lenses can eliminate reflections and improve contrast.
If you are interested in buying vintage sunglasses online, you have many options to choose from. However, you should be careful to avoid fakes, reproductions, or poor-quality products that may not offer the same benefits as genuine vintage sunglasses. Here are some tips to help you find the best vintage sunglasses online:
- Check the authenticity: Look for signs of authenticity, such as the brand name, logo, model number, and country of origin on the frame or the lenses. You can also compare the sunglasses with the original pictures or descriptions from the official website or catalog of the brand.
- Check the condition: Look for any visible flaws, such as scratches, cracks, chips, or stains on the frame or the lenses. You can also ask the seller for more pictures or details about the condition of the sunglasses.
- Check the reviews: Look for reviews from previous buyers or experts who have verified the authenticity and quality of the sunglasses. You can also contact the seller directly and ask them any questions you may have about the sunglasses.
To help you get started, here are some of the best online stores that sell genuine and high-quality vintage sunglasses:
- Vintage Sunglasses Shop: This is the world’s largest store selling rare and authentic vintage designer sunglasses from the 1940s to the 1990s. You can find vintage sunglasses by Ray-Ban, Revo, Oakley, Carrera Porsche Design, Giorgio Armani, Vuarnet, Persol, Versace, Cazal, Alpina, Serengeti, Oliver Peoples, Maui Jim, Bolle, Gargoyles, Killer Loop, American Optical, and more. You can visit their website at Vintage Sunglasses Shop.
- Genuine Vintage Sunglasses: This is an online store that offers exclusively original and genuine designer vintage sunglasses from the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s. You can find vintage sunglasses by Cazal, Alpina, Lacoste, Alfred Dunhill, Playboy, Cébe Eyewear, and more. You can also find rare and hard-to-find brands made by Carrera, such as Movado, Boss, and Sunjet. You can visit their website at Genuine Vintage Sunglasses.
- Sunglass Museum: This is an online store that sells vintage deadstock sunglasses and eyewear from the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s. You can find vintage sunglasses by Christian Dior, Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent, Versace, Ray-Ban, and more. You can also find their own Signature Collection of new classics inspired by vintage styles. You can visit their website at Sunglass Museum.
How do you care for your vintage sunglasses?
Vintage sunglasses are precious and delicate items that require proper care and maintenance. Here are some tips to keep your vintage sunglasses in good condition:
- Clean them regularly. Use a soft cloth and a mild soap or lens cleaner to gently wipe the lenses and the frame. Avoid using alcohol, acetone, or abrasive materials that may damage the coating or the material of the sunglasses.
- Store them safely: Use a hard case and a microfiber pouch to protect your sunglasses from dust, scratches, and impact. Avoid exposing them to extreme heat, cold, or humidity that may warp or crack the frame or the lenses.
- Repair them if needed: If your sunglasses have any minor issues, such as loose screws, broken hinges, or missing nose pads, you can try to fix them yourself or take them to a professional. However, if your sunglasses have major damage, such as cracked lenses, bent frames, or faded colors, you may need to replace them or find a specialist who can restore them.
Vintage sunglasses are a great way to protect your eyes and express your style. They offer quality, function, and style that modern designs may not match. You can find a wide range of vintage sunglasses online, but you should be careful to check the authenticity, condition, and reviews of the products. You should also choose the best vintage sunglasses for you based on your personal preferences, lifestyle, and face shape. We hope this article has helped you learn more about vintage sunglasses and how to buy them online. Happy shopping!